Cohen's arguement is stating an extremely well thought out point. Most people would agree that when you go shopping, its good looking employees that entice customers. I disagree because of the following three reasons. Bias views could develope towards buisnesses who only hire a certain stereo-type, someones extremely "good looks" could discourage someone not as adequate, and lastly, discrimination of employees to be hired is illegal!
From my personal experiences ive not noticed that the employees I saw while shopping could effect my influence on coming back or purchasing more product. Now that im aware of this I see this method of sales in a completely different perception. I now find that I have growing bais views towards these buisnesses who practice this strategy, mostly because they use their own bias judgement for greed and sucess. I hope that people will see things as they are, when they do Im sure that those buisnesses being discriminative towards us people, will slowly die down.
Anyhow, imagine you are in a store buying some clothes. You see someone really good looking and you realize what they are wearing, you really like it and you find it on the shelf. All your life you havent always felt the most confident. when you notice that the person who is standing infront of you is wearing what your about to buy, you get discouraged... This has never been one of my personal experiences, but I remember how it once was to not feel confident in yourself and appearance. Its pretty discouraging and discouragement by itself is powerful enough to stop and make you put back that outfit that you were about to buy, another reason against the hiring of "model-type-quality" people.
If I was caught being discriminative towards a fellow class mate of mine don't you think I would likely get into trouble? I would expect it! That's why I agree with California's law prohibiting discrimination in employment and housing on the basis
of age, race, color, sex, national origin, religion, sexual orientation,
disability, medical condition, and marital status. If for
no good reason, you believe you were treated differently than others, you may also be a
victim of prohibited discrimination, and you should take legal actions to deal with it the right way.
In conclusion, growing bias view, getting discouraged, and discrimination in the work place, are valid reasons why i disagree with Cohen's arguement. Im sure there are other arguements directed from the other side, but this is my opinion, and these are my thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment